Moving to a new home, or a new city, can be exciting. Unfortunately, those moves do not always come off without a hitch. Many things can go wrong during a move, from the loss of irreplaceable personal items to the destruction of expensive furniture and appliances. Whether you are hiring a professional moving company or doing it yourself, it is important to prepare carefully.
That careful preparation can mean the difference between a smooth and uneventful move and one that makes you wish you’d just stayed in your old home. Just follow these steps to make your move more fun and less stressful.
- Take a look around your home and try to estimate how many boxes you will need.
- Contact the moving company or rental agency and talk about the size truck you think you will need. The staff will be able to help you pick the right size based on the size of your home.
- Sort out the items you no longer need. Raise some extra money by having a garage sale, or simply donate those items to your favorite charity.
- Order the boxes and supplies you will need for the move. Make sure you have plenty of markers, labels, packing tape and other items to pack those boxes securely.
- Pack up those out of season clothes and non-essential items ahead of time. This will save you time later on.
- Ask your friends and family members for help if you are doing the move yourself. You may want to offer some culinary enticements – like free pizza and snacks.
- Check the boxes before you start packing the truck. Make sure each box is clearly labeled with the room it goes to and a brief list of the contents. That will make it easier to unpack when you get to your new home.
- Wrap furniture in blankets and padding to prevent damage during shipment. If you are hiring a moving company, the movers should supply these items. If you are moving on your own, you will need to order those protective items.
- Use non-marking tape, rope or string to secure the drawers on dressers, chests of drawers and other furniture.
- Pack your essential items, including prescription drugs, eyeglasses or contacts and important papers, in a moving day kit you can carry with you. Include a torch and directions to your new home in the kit as well.
For more information or advice contact our friendly team today on (07) 5547 6544 or send us a message and will help out any way we can.